Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

The City of Portland, Oregon

Auditor Mary Hull Caballero

Promoting open and accountable government

City Flower

“The City of Roses"

Most residents of Portland, if asked, would name the rose as the Portland city flower, and consider "The City of Roses" as an official city name. Many would be surprised to know that not until 2003 did the City Council pass a Resolution making it official.

Charles Paul Keyser (Portland Parks Superintendent 1917-1950) stated that Portland was "christened the City of Roses by visitors to an Episcopal Church convention which was held in the city in 1888 when the Portland Rose Society was formed. In 1889 Portland's first annual Rose Show was held and from 1904 through 1906 the Portland Rose Society sponsored a Fiesta along with its annual rose show.

In a 1905 address at the Lewis and Clark Exposition, Mayor Harry Lane suggested that Portland needed a "festival of roses." Two years later, in 1907, the first Rose Festival was held.

On June 18, 2003, the City Council passed Resolution 36150 adopting the City of Roses as the city’s official nickname with a unanimous vote.