In order to keep our community centers and other facilities in good condition, each year, Portland Parks & Recreation (PP&R) conducts annual maintenance reviews and in some cases, closes facilities for a period time to do safety checks, deep cleans, and small updates or fixes.
PP&R is committed to providing safe and dependable facilities. Though we know planned closures (or partial closures) may cause some inconvenience, they allow us to address facility maintenance needs safely and efficiently to minimize impacts during the rest of the year.
Please be prepared for limited or no access to specific facilities during the annual maintenance periods identified below. In some circumstances it may be necessary for PP&R to close part of or an entire facility temporarily while disruptive maintenance occur. Some examples include fumes from paint and cleaning materials, interior upgrades (electrical, mechanical, minor-construction), and work requiring our pools to be drained.
If you have a membership at one of our large community centers, please inquire with the front desk about your options for visiting other centers during your center's closure. If you have additional questions regarding your center's maintenance closure, please contact the center's director.
- August 14 - 18, Portland Children's Museum
- August 21 - September 1, Matt Dishman Community Center & Pool
- September 5 - 15, Southwest Community Center & Pool
- September 18 - 29, Mt. Scott Community Center & Pool
- October 2 - 13, East Portland Community Center & Pool
- October 16 - 20, Peninsula Park Community Center
- October 23 - 27, Director Park / Pioneer Courthouse Square
- October 30 - November 3, Woodstock Community Center / Naito Structure
- November 6 - 10, Interstate Firehouse Cultural Center / Owens Sport Complex
- November 13 - 17, Firehouse Theater / St. Johns Racquet Center
- November 20 - 22, Overlook House / Buckman Fieldhouse
- November 27 - December 1, St. Johns Community Center
- December 4 - 8, Hoyt Arboretum
- December 11 - 15, Columbia Pool
- December 18 - 22, Columbia Pool / Fulton Community Center
- December 26 - 29, Laurelhurst Dance Studio
Types of work PP&R performs during maintenance closures
- Painting and patching
- Door inspection and repair
- High ceiling light bulb replacements
- Fire alarm testing
- Environmental and building material testing inspection (e.g. lead, radon, asbestos)
- Electrical system testing
- Deep cleaning and polishing
- Miscellaneous repairs that could not be done earlier in the year