Poet's Beach and River Swimming
Poet’s Beach is closed for the season.
Portland Parks & Recreation thanks guests for visiting the beach in 2017 and supporting the pilot project. A summary of the pilot program is available here.
About Poet's Beach
- Open July 12 through September 4, 2017
- Poet’s Beach is a sandy shore with river access, and an in-water swimming area delineated with a swim line and floats
- Water depth is shallow in the area of Poet’s Beach
- On-land amenities include: picnic tables; trash cans; bicycle racks; signage; life jacket borrowing station; and portable toilets
- Specialized river rescue lifeguards will staff the site 7 days/week
- Lifeguard hours are from 11:00 AM-7:00 PM
- PP&R Beach hosts will be at the site 7 days/week, welcoming guests, orienting them to the site, and collecting usage data. Hours and shifts are to be determined
Getting to Poet's Beach
Poet's Beach is in South Waterfront Park, on the west side of the Willamette River and just north of the I-5 Marquam Bridge.
- Walk, roll, or bicycle along the South Waterfront Park Trail. Bicycle racks are available at Poet’s Beach for short-term use.
- If taking public transportation, the nearest Portland Streetcar stop is SW River Parkway and Moody Avenue. The nearest TriMet bus stops are 35 and 36
- If driving, the nearest road intersection is SW River Parkway and Moody Avenue. Paid vehicle parking is available in the area.
View a larger map of Poet's Beach
Remember, river swimming means colder water, and currents change depending on the tide, river level, and wind. Safety is our top priority, if you are not a strong swimmer, consider a Personal Flotation Device (PFD).