- City Council launched the mid-term franchise review on August 3, 2017 and adopted guiding principles for the review, including new principles to increase workforce diversity and reduce barriers to economic opportunity for Minority/Women Business Enterprises (M/WBEs)
- BPS held stakeholder interviews, conducted a workforce demographic survey, drafted an Options Report, and convened two stakeholder group meetings in the fall of 2017.
- BPS reported back to City Council in late January 2018 with findings that the franchise system Is serving Portland well on most counts, yet more research was needed to assess options for reducing barriers to new entrants in the franchise system and other economic opportunities.
- BPS posted a Request for Information (RFI) in March to assess interest and capabilities of potential new entrants to the franchise system and presented a proposal to Planning and Sustainability Commission (PSC) in Spring of 2018. BPS proposed some changes to the franchise agreement itself as well as ways to improve access for M/WBEs in Portland’s waste industry outside of the residential franchise, including overhauling the City’s procurement approach for its own collection contracts and convening a process to consider additional regulation of multifamily properties.
- The proposed franchise agreement has been finalized and will be published in the Daily Journal of Commerce by August 15, 2018.
- The City Council hearing to adopt the proposed franchise agreement will be held:
Wednesday, September 5, 2018
9:45 AM Time Certain
City Hall Council Chambers
1221 SW 4th Avenue
- Council will vote on the franchise agreement in early October. The new franchise agreement takes effect 60 days after adoption.
- At the hearing, BPS will also ask City Council to accept a new Waste Equity Workplan. A draft of the new Workplan will be posted by August 2018.
- New administrative rules are needed to implement proposed changes in the draft franchise agreement. The rulemaking process will also begin during the summer of 2018.
To get involved in the residential garbage and recycling franchise review process and/or administrative rulemaking process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.