Portland City Council will consider and vote on amendments to the Recommended Draft on Wednesday November 6, 2019, following a continuation of the public hearing on the Better Housing by Design Recommended Draft, which is scheduled to start at 2 p.m.
The draft amendments were requested by City Commissioners and are subject to change before being considered by City Council on November 6. That’s because commissioners will continue to consider public testimony until the public hearing closes that same day.
The potential BHD amendments include the following:
- Amendments to the Deeper Housing Affordability Bonus to provide options for affordable ownership housing.
- Expanded exemptions from minimum parking requirements for projects providing affordable housing.
- Limitations on using development bonuses on sites where historic buildings have been demolished in the multi-dwelling and mixed-use zones.
- Prohibitions on using development bonuses on sites more than a 1,500-foot walking distance of frequent-service transit.
- Disallowing 100-foot building height in the RM4 zone in historic districts.
- Requirements for large sites to include indoor common areas, such as community or recreation rooms.
- Changes to the zoning of specific historic properties to support their preservation.
- Zone changes in the King’s Hill Historic District to reduce allowed building scale.
- A series of minor code amendments, including allowances for triplexes and fourplexes on small lots.
Updates to the list of potential BHD amendments will be posted here: https://www.portlandoregon.gov/bps/80031
You can testify on these draft amendments and on the Recommended Draft using the Map App or during the November 6 public hearing. Community members who signed up to testify for the October 2public hearing (but were not able to testify before the hearing closed) will be given priority to testify early on November 6.
Anyone else who would like to provide testimony on the Better Housing by Design Recommended Draft or the draft amendments is also welcome to testify during the November 6 public hearing.
Written testimony will continue to be accepted through 2 p.m. on November 6, 2019. Please see below for information on how to submit testimony.
How to Testify
Testify in person
You may speak for three minutes to City Council, and your testimony will be added to the public record.
Wednesday, November 6, 2019, at 2 p.m. (you can sign-up to testify starting at 1:30 p.m.)
Council Chambers at City Hall
1221 SW 4th Avenue
To confirm the date, time and location, check the Council agenda at www.portlandoregon.gov/auditor/26997
Testify in writing
by November 6, 2019 at 2 p.m. (you must include your name and address):
Via the Map App: www.portlandoregon.gov/bps/mapapp
Select Better Housing by Design and click on the "Testify" button. Testifying in the Map App is as easy as sending an email. And once you press “submit,” you can see your testimony in the Testimony Reader in real time. You can also read other people’s testimony.
By U.S. Mail
Better Housing by Design Testimony
1221 SW Fourth Avenue, Room 130
Portland, Oregon 97204
Links to Recommended Draft resources
Citywide maps showing the Recommended Draft Zoning Map and Comprehensive Plan Map can be viewed here:
Learn about how the Recommended Draft multi-dwelling zoning changes will affect specific properties by using the online Map App: www.Portlandmaps.com/bps/mapapp
Select Better Housing by Design and enter in an address to learn about the proposed zoning for a property.
You can find all the Recommended Draft material online at: https://www.portlandoregon.gov/bps/79578
For more information
The Bureau of Planning and Sustainability is committed to providing meaningful access. For accommodations, modifications, translation, interpretation or other services, please call 503-823-7700 or use City TTY 503-823-6868, or Oregon Relay Service 711. 503-823-7700.