We Can Help with Your Bill Starting July 1, 2019, eligible single-family residential accounts belonging to families that receive less than 60% of the median family income (MFI) may receive a discount of $63.20 on the water portion of their bill and $110.57 on their sewer/stormwater management charges, for a total of $173.77 on a 90-day bill. Eligible sewer-only accounts may receive a discount of $97.47 on a 60-day bill.
Water Bill Discount Program CalculatorPlease use this calculator to see if you might qualify for our bill discount program.
* Gross income means the amount of money before taxes or deductions.
Eligible single-family residential accounts belonging to families that receive less than 30% of the MFI may receive a discount of $101.10 on the water portion of their bill and $176.94 on their sewer/stormwater management charges, for a total of $278.04 on a 90-day bill. Eligible sewer-only accounts may receive a discount of $156.06 on a 60-day bill.
Discounts for in▼come-eligible households are established each fiscal year by the Portland City Council.
Income Eligibility Requirements
Income guidelines are now based on City of Portland or State levels to expand the reach of our Financial Assistance program to more households. Note that income guidelines will change as of July 2020.
|Family Size||Tier 1 Discount (Maximum Monthly Income)||Tier 2 Discount (Maximum Monthly Income)|
*For each additional person in a Tier 1 household, add $355 to monthly income; for each additional person in a Tier 2 household, add $178 monthly income.
How Does a Customer Establish Eligibility?
If your household income is at or below 60% MFI you may either:
1) Contact the Community Service Center in your area to make an appointment to establish eligibility (see below table for agencies);
2) Apply directly through the Water Bureau electronically by filling out the Online Financial Assistance Application;
3) Print and fill out the Printable Financial Assistance Application (viewable and printable by PDF); or
4) Request documents to be mailed to you from Customer Service at (503) 823-7770 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Online Financial Assistance Application - Complete and list all gross household income for last 30 days and provide income documentation. Remember to click Submit & Sign after filling out the required fields. The Water Bureau would like to get a better idea of who we are serving. You will be invited to provide additional information after completing the application in an optional survey.
*To optimize experience Chrome or Firefox is recommended for Online Assistance Application
Printable Financial Assistance Application - Complete and list all gross household income for last 30 days and provide income documentation.
Approved Income Documentation - Examples of valid income.
Portland Water Bureau, Customer Service
Attn: Financial Assistance Program
1120 SW 5th Ave Room 600
Portland OR 97204
Community Service Centers
We partner with eight Community Service Centers where you can make an appointment to establish eligibility for our program, as well as access other important social services.
|Northeast & North Portland||Northwest, Southwest, & Downtown Portland||Southeast Portland||Outer East County|
|IRCO - Africa House
631 NE 102nd Ave.
| Impact Northwest
10055 E. Burnside St.
410 NE 18th Ave.
333 SE 223rd Ave. Suite 100
|IRCO - Asian Family Services
8040 NE Sandy Blvd.
|Human Solutions Inc.
124 NE 181st Ave.
|SEI Community Services
4803 NE 7th Ave.
|Native American Youth and Family Center
5135 NE Columbia Blvd.
- Additional Discounts for stormwater management may be available through the Bureau of Environmental Services' Clean River Rewards Program.
- Contact Customer Service for more information.
- Contact 211info at 503-222-5555 or visit http://211info.org/ for information about other social service resources in your community.
- Click here for link to Financial Assistance brochure.