Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

The City of Portland, Oregon

Portland, Oregon

Welcome to the official web site of the City of Portland, Oregon

General Information: 503-823-4000


1221 SW 4th Avenue, Room 110, Portland, OR 97204

More Contact Info

Getting Started

If your property is located in a plan district, historic district, or conservation zone, there may be zoning regulations that determine where you can locate solar electric or solar water heating systems on your roof. You can Find Your Zoning or you can visit the Planning and Zoning staff at the Development Services Center to determine the specific limits applicable to your property.

A building permit is required for all solar energy system installations. Depending on whether your project is a solar electric system, or a solar water heating system, an electrical or plumbing permit will also be required.

The Bureau of Development Services sells a "Residential Combination" permit package. This allows you to call for all inspections using just the Building Permit (RS) IVR number and pay for all the permits at one time. You will need to submit the trade (mechanical, electrical, and/or plumbing) application(s) signed either by you, if you are doing these portions of the work yourself, or by your licensed subcontractors. If you do not have your completed subcontractor forms when you are applying for your residential permit (RS) you will have to apply for trade permits separately from the building permit. Sub-contractors that you hire must be registered with the State of Oregon and carry the correct licenses in association with their trade.

Your project will be reviewed under provisions of the current Oregon Structural Specialty Code (OSSC) and must be installed to meet or exceed the minimum code standards as outlined in the National Electrical Code (NEC). View more information on building codes.