If you've purchased a permit in error, you'll need to apply for a refund.
To apply for a refund, print and complete the Refund Request Form. Then, mail or fax the completed form to BDS.
Mail the request to:
Bureau of Development Services
Attn: Permit Refund Request
1900 SW Fourth Avenue Suite 5000
Portland, Oregon 97201
Or fax a copy to 503-823-4172.
Per Title 24.10.102 Building Permit and Plan Check/Process Fee:
- Requests for refunds must be made within 6 months of payment or permit issuance, whichever is later.
- Refunds may only be issued to the party who paid the fees, according to the payor information on record at BDS.
- Permit refunds for online permits are paid by check.
- This Refund Request Form is used only for online permits and not for Land Use Service applications (such as Land Use Reviews, Early Assistance Appointments, Lot Confirmations, etc.). For refunds associated with Land Use Services applications, please contact the assigned planner for your case file or 503-823-7300.
How much will be refunded? As a general rule, if permit or plan review fees are paid by customers due to an error on the part of the City of Portland, these fees will be fully refunded at 100%. However, the following applies to all permits purchased in error by customers, where the City was not at fault in accepting payment.
Refunds of up to 80% may be issued:
- If the City services covered by the customer fees (reviews or inspections) HAVE NOT yet begun or have not been performed at the time a Refund Request is received by the City
Refunds will NOT be issued:
- If the City services covered by the customer fees (reviews or inspections) HAVE begun or have been performed at the time a Refund Request is received by the City
Contact us for help with an online permit
If you have questions about applying for a permit online, give us a call. We are available by phone at 503-823-7420 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday – Friday
You can also send us an email to BDSPermitsOnline@portlandoregon.gov.