Portland’s extensive recycling system welcomes many types of paper to include in your blue Portland Recycles! roll cart. In fact, it’s been the same system for residents since 2008 when the change was made from bins to carts.
The paper items to include are:
- Newspapers, magazines, catalogs and phone books
- Cardboard boxes (single pieces or bundles are limited to 36 inches in any direction; bundle with twine or tape)
- Scrap paper and junk mail
- Cartons: milk, juice, soup (spouts can remain; lids belong in the garbage)
- Shredded office paper (must be in paper bag)
There are items to keep out of your recycling container, like paper coffee cups and frozen and refrigerated food boxes. Read Metro’s article about paper and what to keep out.
Reminder: Pizza delivery boxes belong in the green Portland Composts! roll cart because the cardboard may contain grease and oil.
Have a question for our Curbside Hotline Operator?
Submit your question online or call 503-823-7202.