Irvington Historic District
The Irvington Historic District was recently listed in the National Register of Historic Places, the nation’s official list of buildings, structures, objects, sites and districts important to American history. The register is maintained by the National Park Service. The Irvington Community Association (ICA) prepared the application with support from neighborhood residents.
About the district
The Irvington Historic District is recognized as an early “streetcar suburb.” It is also recognized for its collection of different styles and periods of architecture, generally houses constructed from 1891-1948. The district encompasses a square-shaped area bounded roughly by NE Fremont St. to the north, NE 27th Avenue to the east, NE Broadway to the south and NE 7th to the west. The area includes approximately 2,800 buildings, nearly doubling the number of designated properties in Portland.
Oregon law requires local governments to protect resources that have historic designations. This generally means exterior changes to properties in the district will require a historic design review process, as described in the Portland Zoning Code. Property owners in the district can potentially qualify for historic property tax incentives under a program administered by the State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO).
About the process
The historic district listing followed a public review process that began in March 2010, when the proposal was submitted to SHPO by the ICA. The Portland Historic Landmarks Commission and the Oregon State Advisory Committee on Historic Preservation reviewed and endorsed the proposal. The final decision, including considering public support for the district, was made by the National Park Service in Washington, D.C., which maintains the National Register.
Now that the historic district has been designated, City records and maps (including PortlandMaps) have been updated. Links to other Historic district maps can be found here.
For more information
- Visit the Historic Resources page for more information about historic and conservation districts.
- Explore properties within the Irvington Historic District on PortlandMaps.com.
- View the Oregon Parks and Recreation Department Press Release.
- Visit the SHPO website for information about the nomination process and the full text of the nomination. Call Ian Johnson with specific questions: 503-986-0678.
- View the Historic property tax incentives information.
- Visit the Irvington Community Association (ICA) website for newsletters and other documents concerning the nomination process.
- Visit the Bureau of Development Services (BDS) website for general information about regulations, permits and other development requirements. Call 503-823-7526 with specific questions.